Still Life Potato in 2 ways

Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan focused on one out of four different plants that have evolved because of human’s desire for them. For the article we read, it focused on the potato and how our desire to control it sort of guide it to what it is today. It talks about how great the potato is in the fact that it is able to feed such a huge amount of people. However, the article mentions how potatoes used to be sprayed with pesticide, a spray used to kill bugs that would eat/ruin the natural potato in it’s growing stage. The reason for the farmers spraying such toxic chemicals on something people would eat is because of such high demands. The alternative to this, some believed, was to create NewLeaf. NewLeaf created genetic engineered potatoes that won’t need to be sprayed with a pesticide, known as GMO to consumers. The metaphor Pollan used was that these potatoes were an operating system like Microsoft, they were Monsanto’s intellectual property.

When I read the article the first time my idea was to portray the Potato in a sort of evil/negative manner with it being chemical enhanced and all. However, I actually saw the documentary of Botany of Desire and my ideas changed a bit. I feel that the focus of the book/documentary is not to portray this in a negative way but rather to shed light and give an in-depth look into this. It took a very neutral approach, in my opinion.

Photo Idea: Botany of Desire

I want to run with the idea of “shedding light” so for one of the ideas, I want a dark background with a front view of the potato or maybe quarter view with a bright spotlight shining on the potato giving it a “spotlight” effect and all our focus would be going to the potato. I want to try one with normal light and one with a green or red light using gel lights. Another idea to bring a magnifying glass and use that in different ways. One would be to the potato being up front and having the magnifying glass directly in front of it, another one would be to have the magnifying glass from the top view angle,

Another approach would be to use reflection with Rembrandt lighting for a dramatic effect and shadows. Again, I want to play with the gel lights to incorporate the genetically engineered feel to it. Using the same idea of having the potato reflect I want to try it with a broad light so we can see a lot more details of the potato but still have some shadows to create a serious tone.

Photo idea: Fresh Direct

For fresh direct, I want a lot of green veggies with bright, well-lit background using butterfly lighting. I want close up shots with water drops on vegetables to indicate freshness. Another approach is to create depth with the potato and veggies, using broad light for dimension. I want there to be little empty space in the photograph.

One thought on “Still Life Potato in 2 ways

1. rmichals

I am so glad that you saw the documentary because you are absolutely correct that Pollan doesn’t view the idea of GMO as evil. He does not think in such black and white terms. He suggests in the short peice that we read that NewLeafs might be better than traditional pesticides which are really very dangerous. He is more concerned about the idea of a plant having an operating system under the control of a particular corporation.

A spot light on the potato as if it is on stage could work well. You should try the magnifying glass idea as well. You might have to shoot what would be through the glass separately. Lets see.

Lastly, these terms like Rembrandt light and butterfly lighting refer specifically to portrait lighting-meaning people. I am unaware of these types of names for still life photography.