NUR 4130: Nursing Philosphy

In the world of health care, people are hung up with confusing medical jargon, rushing from patient to patient, getting ready to do the next procedure. Our patients are caught in the midst of this and too often they feel like their voices are not heard when they are cared for. As nurses, we are taught how to effectively communicate with our patients. Sometimes we forget it is not just about speaking with our patients. Effective communication requires listening. Often times a patient’s healing can be expedited when we stop and listen.

As a nurse, I will always listen before I act. I will listen to my patient to what he or she has to say. I will listen for the things my patient might not say out loud. I will listen to their concerns and make sure they know that I am here to listen. I know when I interact with my patients I might not even have to say a word to them because listening is truly therapeutic.

While I promise to listen to my patients, I also need to take time to listen to myself. I need to listen to my body so I know I am optimally able to care for my patients. I need to listen to my heart if something is out of place. I will also listen to those who want to help me. I will listen to those who want to offer education and experience. I will listen to the founding mothers of nursing and their beliefs because they paved the road of nursing care for us. I aim to stay humble and grounded and I believe the best way to do that is to listen more.