Visual Quote Project

(REVISED)

For this assignment, we had to choose a quote in which we would like to make a visual concept. This visual concept had to have an illustration and manipulated type reflecting the quote.

The quote I choose is by Plato, ” LOVE IS A SEROUS MENTAL DISEASE”. I like this quote because many people can reflect on this quote when they deeply in love. The two images above are the first sketches of my ideas on how I was about to create my visual concept. As I started to work on them I decide to make the way different from my first sketches

Visual quote 1

My first concept I decided to cover the whole background with lines crossing to one end of the page to another. This makes an illusion of craziness. I draw a heart shape to represent love. I use a sans serif typeface for “is a serious” part so it can stand out more. I also draw a brain to represent “mental “. In the end, I use a distorted font for “disease”.  I decide to add light colors instead of dark colors.

Visual quote 2

My second concept I draw a profile view of a human head. This illustration has been repeated to create a illusinal effect to represent that, when you are deep in love the only thing you think of is the person you are in love with all over again and again. The text are bold, with common colors to be readable.

Visual quote 3 

For my last concept  I try to make a heart outline with each letter of the quote. I play around with the fonts for each part of the quote. I choose a script font for “LOVE” because it makes it more flirtatious. For “IS” and “A”, I choose to put both serif and sans serif to give the eye a break to help with legiblility. For “SERIOUS” I used a strong bold sans serif to make it stand out. Lastly, I choose a distorted font for “MENTAL DISEASE”. To bring more attention to the heart, I added shapes around it. The shapes in the background represent a breakup.