Community Service

Fluoride Varnish Program:

Fluoride Varnish ProgramIn April 2019, I was given the opportunity to provide oral screenings for a head start program in which included 3-5 year old children. These children come from low income families who are not able to provide consecutive dental care and treatment to their children and so these children may potentially suffer from early childhood caries (ECC) and premature loss of primary teeth. Being able to participate in this event, helps provide parents with the knowledge of how important it is for them to get immediate dental care for their child.

The screenings included:Fluoride Varnish Program

Intra-oral Examination

Detection of any suspicious carious

Applied 5% varnish – sodium fluoride topical gel on their teeth to help prevent future carious lesions.

Documentation of findings & referrals given to parents.

VARNISHVarnish

Outreach Activity:

In March 2019, I also attended the same head start program to educate a classroom of approximately 10 children, aged 3-5. Along with my partner, Rokia Barak, we provided dental education on how to prevent cavities and express to these children how important tooth brushing is.

gnyGNY

GNY Smiles Colgate Volunteering

GNYOn November 29th 2018, I was able to attend and be a volunteer at Greater New York Dental Meeting at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. My fellow classmates and I were able to volunteer at the Colgate Smiles station to provide oral hygiene education to children aged 3-10 years old. We were able to make cheer dances about oral hygiene and nutrition. We made cheers that related to how important it is to brush your teeth and how to prevent cavities.

GNY

Oral Health Research Project: