"...how it differs from the rocks"

Tag: videos

Help with Partial Fraction Decomposition

Hi everyone,

As we launch into our next topic, you will see that one of the (forgotten?) skills you will need is that of re-writing a complicated fraction as a sum of simpler fractions (“partial fraction decomposition”).  For those that need some extra help/reminder of this process, here are a couple of videos:

Partial Fraction Decomposition – a basic example.  This is a good basic example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZTv4zCgEnA

Partial Fraction Decomposition – another example. This is a slightly longer example, and it includes a good explanation of how to set up your partial fractions for different kinds of factors in the denominator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9FfGy3Cfw

Calculus Review – some helpful hints

Having trouble with the WeBWorK?  First, don’t panic – it’s a lot to remember!!  But do be prepared to put in some time re-learning stuff from Calculus I and II.  I’ve picked out a few video resources for you that hit some of the most important techniques  (I tried to find videos that were focussed on examples, rather than theory, since this is meant to be review).

Comments are welcome (just click the “leave a comment” button above).

• Like a video? Leave comment and let me know.
  • Dislike a video (it wasn’t helpful/ it was confusing)? Let me know.
  • Need help with another topic (like the product rule, or equations of tangent lines, or something else)?  Let me know.
  • Have a video or other resource to suggest? Let me know!

Derivatives: The Chain Rule (similar to Problem 4):  This video is short and sweet, a single example using the chain rule with a logarithmic function.

Integrals: U-Substitution (similar to Problems 5 & 6):

This video has three examples – the first two are most similar to what you will see in WeBWorK (the last one is a little trickier – but could be useful in the future):

Integration by Parts (similar to Problems 7 & 8)

This video also has a few examples – the first two will be most useful for the WeBWorK: