Assignment 1B

Badke and Jabr state that we translate information differently depending on what format we choose to read in.  Some may prefer to use physical books because they want to feel a book’s texture and size. Perhaps these individuals are physical learners (defined as the ability to retain information using ones hands) and automatically gather knowledge differently depending on how heavy a text is. Others may be more interested in reading information digitally via their E-books or tablets. Unlike readers of print, digital enthusiast may consider the weight of a book to be a nuisance and simply like having it at their disposal at all times.

I personally prefer to read any text digitally because it is more convenient. For example, carrying a 1000 page textbook to college everyday gets tiring quickly and becomes more of a chore within the first few days. I rather turn on my tablet, choose the textbook I need to read, and swipe across the screen to flip its pages. The same can be said about books that contain only 500 pages as I often find myself carrying enough weight as is.

However, after reading The Non-Designers Book by Robin Williams in print and digital, I learned that it is about more than just convenience. In print, I would get distracted easily and stop reading after a few sentences. But in digital, I read the text thoroughly with ease. I also retained information better and was more engaged with the text as I asked myself questions about what it discussed. In addition, unlike in print,  I gained the ability to listen to music while reading. I often listen to music on my tablet while reading on it because it allows me to focus on the task at hand.

Overall, reading The Non-Designers Book by Robin Williams in print and digital allowed me to see how differently I translate information. I learned more about myself as I found out that I prefer to read text digitally. With digital text, I can process information quickly and not get distracted.