Arrangement of Maxillary Posterior Teeth

There are five steps below:

1. Before I start setting the maxillary posterior denture teeth, I first place the reference marks as guides on the right and left crests of the maxillary and mandibular residual ridges. I must form the compensating curve patter for the maxillary posteriors in 30 degree.

2. I make a 0.5mm space between the distal surface of the maxillary canine and the mesial of the 1st premolar. Then 1st and 2nd premolar are now set up with their long axis perpendicular to the occlusal plane. Their lingual cup tips should touch the occlusal plane, and the buccal cusps are raised 0.5 mm. Whatever, I arrange 1st and 2nd premolar are on the same level of the adjacent marginal ridges.

3. I arrange the mesiolingual cusp of the 1st molar to touch the occusal plane, and the mesiobuccal cusp is raised 0.5mm out of contact, forming an angle of about 6 degree with the occlusal plane. The distolingual cusp is raised 0.5mm, and the distobuccal cusp is 1 mm off the plane. The compensating curve begins at the 1st molar.

4. The mesiolingual cusp of the 2nd molar is 0.75mm off the occlusal plane, and the mesiobuccal cusp is 1.25 mm raised out of contact. The distolingual cusp is 1 mm off, and the distobuccal cusp is raised 1.5mm.The compensating curve is elevated by the 2nd molar off the occlusal plane.