MAT 2580 Intro to Linear Algebra – Spring 2013 – Ganguli

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Application of Linear Algebra - possible project topics

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

Here are some potential topics for your project/paper on an application of linear algebra. So far these are all taken from the textbook. I’ll be post more topics over the next couple days, so check back on this thread.

But in any case take a look at these sections of the textbook to get an idea of the wide variety of linear algebra applications. Looks through the examples as well as the exercises:

1.6: applications in economics, chemistry, network flows
    1.10: linear algebra models for nutrition, electrical networks, population/migration (difference equations)

2.6: more about the economics “input-output” model introduced in Sec 1.6 (actually first introduced in the intro to Ch 1)
    2.7: applications to computer graphics

4.8: more on difference equations – applications to signal processing/filtering
    4.9: Markov chains (more on migration models, including a voting model)

5.6: Discrete dynamical systems (primary example is a predator-prey model)
    5.7: Applications to differential equations

6.6: Linear models (statistics – regression; examples from various application domains)
    6.8: Applications of inner product spaces (more statistics)

7.5: Image processing (and even more statistics)

Note that some of these sections include “Further Reading” references (2.7, 4.8, 5.6, 6.6, 7.5)

Ms. Desir
    Participant

if we choose to do this project when will it be due

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

Since I announced this relatively recently, I’ll give you as long as possible. You can hand in your writeup (2-3 pages) before taking the final exam.

Though I’d like to get a 1-paragraph description of what topic you’ve chosen this week. I’ll discuss in class tomorrow.

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

Here is the book chapter introducing linear algebra techniques for image deblurring–another potential project topic:
    http://www.siam.org/books/fa03/FA03Chapter1.pdf

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

A set of slides on the linear algebra of image compression:
    http://math.arizona.edu/~brio/VIGRE/ThursdayTalk.pdf

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.