I believe as a society we should be ready, willing, and able to lend a helping hand to those in need, whether they are in need of food, clothing, shelter, or medical attention. With selfless acts of caring, nurses are in a unique position to show there is still love for the common man.  Nurses can play an important role in helping to not only give care, but to give hope to the sick and the less fortunate.  A nurse must be honest, caring, non-judgmental, empathetic, and compassionate when providing care.  Nurses should hold themselves to a high ethical and moral standard at all times.  I believe that nurses must be strong advocates for their patients whenever necessary, making sure their rights are respected.

Everyday nurses are on the front line attending to patients with many different illnesses. Nurses are the first to encounter the patient before admission and the last to see them after a decision is made for discharge. During this period nurses spend most of the time getting to know the patient, building a working relationship, and developing trust, and confidence.  This is why I believe nurses should be an equal partner and have a bigger voice at the table in relation to patient care.  Nurses can add valuable information that aids in the treatment plan; information that the patient would not have disclosed to the doctor. As such, the nurse essential role is that of an advocate, ensuring that care is patient centered.

I am very proud to be a part of this profession that gives me the opportunity to be of service to those in need.  Nursing has helped me to grow as a person and as a professional, teaching me the importance of work collectively for a common goal.  Nurses are making a difference all around the world by enhancing the lives of all we comes in contact with.