Fairness, empathy, and compassion have always been something I display. I believe these are some of my biggest strengths as a nurse. Not only is it important to be fair to patients,  it is also necessary to be fair towards my fellow colleagues by doing my fair share of duties and giving credit to others for work they have done.  Being empathetic is an important aspect in nursing. I am very conscious of showing  empathy to my patients at all times, understanding that they are facing situations that can be overwhelming and need all the support they can get. I have a very caring personality and ability to actively listen, which in many cases help patients to cope and be at ease.

Another positive thing I identify in myself is my ability to communicate with patients, coworkers, and management. Communication is very important because it helps to build effective work relationships. Attentive listening, respect, caring, empathy, and compassion should be communicated to the patient at all times. This will help the patient to feel more comfortable and open up, giving more information to the nurse.

Working as a team has always been one of my strengths that help me to be productive in my work setting. It is important for me as a nurse to work in unity, offering my assistance and a helping hand whenever coworkers are having difficulties. As a team member, I know when to lead and when to follow. My leadership skills are one of the tools that help me be successful in my profession. I lead by first setting good examples and being consistent and reliable.

Critical thinking and problem solving are also valuable qualities that help me to navigate throughout my nursing journey. When faced with challenges, I do not abandon my duties; instead, I rise to the challenge with the expectation of success. In a fast paced setting, I am able to be decisive at a moment’s notice by drawing on my knowledge and experience I have acquired. My ability to stand firm under pressure helps me to deliver safe, quality care.

I will continue to educate myself with knowledge of new diseases, treatment, and equipment in order to be up to date with new technology and treatment.  I will also continue to build on my strengths in order to provide the best care possible for my patients and function effectively at my job.