Ethics in Design, 2A&B

2A) In past design projects, I did use other people’s creative work. For example, I used a photograph from a well-known photographer in a graphic design project. When using these works, I always make sure to give the artist due acknowledgment. I will clearly cite the source of the work in the citation section of the project and contact the author for permission to use the work if needed. Additionally, I will respect the creativity and labor of the authors by prominently featuring their names and the provenance of their work in the design. This practice not only reflects my professionalism, but also helps maintain the healthy development of the creative industry.

2B) I believe that the Shepard Fairey copyright case has sparked an important discussion about fair use and copyright protection. In this case, Fairey was convicted of copyright infringement after he used an unauthorized photograph to create the “Hope” poster and attempted to conceal that fact. Through studying the AIGA Design and Business Ethics Handbook, I have learned that respecting and adhering to copyright laws is essential for any creative practitioner.

This case made me realize that even within the scope of fair use, as a designer, I must strictly follow the law. At the same time, this case has taught me that honest and transparent behavior is essential in maintaining personal and professional credibility. If Fairey had been honest about the use of the photographs and sought permission from the beginning, the outcome could have been very different. Through this case, I realized that any form of creative borrowing should be done within a legal framework and always with due respect and acknowledgement to the original author. This not only helps to protect the healthy development of the creative industry, but also promotes a more just and equitable creative environment.

Giacobbe, Mark. “What the Obama ‘Hope’ Poster Teaches Us about Copyright Law.” Dean Mead, 17 May 2018, www.deanmead.com/what-the-obama-%E2%80%9Chope%E2%80%9D-poster-teaches-us-about-copyright-law/.