Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing Self-Analysis

My journey into the baccalaureate degree in nursing (BSN) is a very interesting one. I graduated from a assoicate degree in nursing (ADN) program, also known as nursing school, in the spring of 2011 and started working with an agency roughly six months after I passed my boards. Soon after, I began to take courses in preparations to apply to a BSN program.

Oddly enough, due to set backs from rejections to BSN programs because of admission criteria, which in my opinion impede willing and able young nurses from advancing in the nursing profession, it took some time to find the right program while I was fully employed as a nurse. Thankfully, I found a program welcomed my educational and clinical experience.

The baccalaureate degree, is a neccessary foundation for the professional registered nurse. Although I gained much of my nursing experience in clinical practice with only an associates degree, I always felt that there was information that was missing from my knowledge base that would be useful to take better care of my patients.

What I have learned thus far in the BSN bridge program, does make sense and is applicable to the nursing profession. I understand why it is fundamentally necessary for all nurses to have a BSN as minimal preperation for clinical practice. There are theories, important clinical knowledge, and leadership skills that nurses should have when entering into practice and the BSN program addresses those needs.