Week 1-2: Keywords

Dear Students,

Each week, I will ask one of you to post your notes from our Tuesday class session, and to make a list of ten to fifteen keywords discussed.  Since I did not ask any of you to post your notes from this week’s class meeting, I am making the post.  Unfortunately, I was not taking notes, so I cannot post those.  However, I can post my list of keywords.  If anyone would like to post some notes, please feel free to do so by replying to this post.  Also, please let me know if you feel any of the keywords listed should be removed or others added.

All best,

Prof. Rodgers

Keywords from Week 1 (which is actually the second week of the semester, but which we are calling Week 1 just to simplify matters).  Please make sure that you have a working definition of each of these terms.  If not, please make sure to make a note of what questions you have about these terms so we can talk about your questions on the Open Lab.

Rhetoric
Rhetorical question
Rhetorical context
Aristotelian rhetorical triangle and it’s associated terms (writer/speaker, audience, purpose)
Denotative definition
Connotative definition
Metaphorical
Titles and their functions in various pieces and genres of writing
Genre
Nonfiction and the genres associated with it (essays, articles, proposals, memos, grocery lists, billing statements, wills, birth certificates, letters, emails)
MLA/APA/NBA

2 Responses to Week 1-2: Keywords

1. EHarrison says:

Rhetoric-the study or art of communication
    i.e.: a word that you use very frequently “MAD” (a slang word meaning a lot of )
    Denotative-the dictionary definition
    Connotative-the definition of the word in common usage

2. Epiphany, Thanks for this draft. I have a few questions regarding it: How many definitions have you posted, one or three? Where does the “i.e.” belong? Is that part of the rhetoric definition of the definitions of denotative and connotative? Could you make each definition at least two to three sentences?