Nabeela

Esther introduces Doreen as one of her “troubles” (Plath 4) in the very beginning of the book. Doreen is  the definition of perfect beauty, according to society of course. She “… had bright white hair standing out in a cotton candy fluff round her head and blue eyes like transparent agate marbles…”( Plath 4). She is different from the rest of the girls, she is a distraction for Esther. She wears silk robes and is very outgoing, likes to smoke and seems to be very experienced with men and life generally; enough to make sarcastic comments about almost everyone she’d meet. There is no description of what her career is or what she is working on but she definitely seems to be interested in fashion mostly. When they had the shoot for the magazine, her object for describing her career was a sari, ” to show she wanted to be a social worker in India (she didn’t really, she told me she only wanted to get her hands on a Sari).” (Plath 101).

A woman like Doreen would still be considered promiscuous, even in now days because we still live in an era where society plays a big role.  A woman is still expected to be modest and pure and Doreen is the complete opposite. She is an interesting character though, she doesn’t care about the magazine or handing in the drafts like Esther or going to the parties with all the girls but rather go out on her own and get drunk with a random man. She also doesn’t seem lost or confused like Esther, even though she does’t have her mind set on becoming a writer or a poet; she still seems confident and that makes her an interesting character in this book.

2 thoughts on “Nabeela

1. I understand your focus on Doreen. And I agree completely, her character allows for a look into those times. Even back then compared to today, Doreen can probably still be seen as too wild. Except for her style, today many women can share that trait.

2. In general I am in agreement with your depiction and analysis of Doreen. She definitely displays an air of maturity and self-assuredness. I would go even further to say that in some ways she is ahead of her time. She lives her life not much different from men of this age and hers, not necessarily bound by the cultural restrictions of no sex before marriage. Doreen is comfortable in her femininity and the expression of it while enjoying all of its intrinsic benefits. Is she somewhat shallow and superficial? Yes, but she has the right and should be afforded the freedom to be so. However the trait of superficiality is not one I admire in role model.