Suchi R.

Jay Cee is the editor of “Ladies’ day Magazine,” she is also the boss of Esther. Jay Cee is a married women who wears suits, hats, and thick eyeglasses. She tries to make herself more appealing with feminine like pastel colors. Many people would say she is smart and excellent with her management skills, however, strict. In the book “The Bell Jar” Doreen, who is Esthers’ roommate, stated, “Jay Cee’s ugly as sin, I bet that old husband of hers turns out all the lights before he gets near her or he’d puke otherwise.” (Pdf. Pg. 5) However, Esther viewed her differently. In the book she replies back to Doreens’ thoughts by stating, “She wasn’t one of the fashion magazine gushers with fake eyelashes and giddy jewelry. Jay Cee had brains, so her plug-ugly looks didn’t seem to matter.”(Pdf. Pg. 5) In the book you can tell Jay Cee takes her job very seriously. When Esther was falling behind she brought her into her office and made sure to get her back on track. Jay Cee gives her some advice and suggest that Esther should study languages as a key to becoming successful in the business of editing magazines or any other work in publishing. This shows me that Jay Cee can also be somewhat caring and want what’s best for the girls; at one point in the story Esther even compares her to her very own mother. My view on Jay Cee is that she is a wonderful role model for females. Being that the story took place in the 1950’s I know how hard it must have been for women to actually succeed and step out the “housewife” zone.  I wouldn’t mind having someone like Jay Cee around who is a successful business/career women.

5 thoughts on “Suchi R.

1. I agree Jay Cee defied the image of what a woman should be in her era. At the same, she tried to fit in by wearing the color shirts to show a little of feminine in her. She is the definition of what the second wave feminism was. She was able to be to advanced far to be a boss as a woman.

2. I also agree that Jay Cee is a good role model for the girls. She is proof that any woman can be success even while being married. She shows the girls especially Esther that you don’t have to be “insane” to be an accomplished woman.

• Yes, exactly but I mean I think they are being very judgmental with her just because her husband is fat and ugly as well. They soon start to believe Mabey she isn’t so happy after all …. ?

3. I agree with you Suchi, I think Jay Cee is a woman who can fit into today’s society very well. She is an inspiration to Esther and all the other women because of her intelligence. She is described “ugly” by Doreen but she seems to be very successful career wise and that shows you don’t need beauty to get somewhere in life.