Carol Cruz

Mrs. Greenwood, Esther’s mother seems to portray the concept of “proper” femininity for the mid 20’s. It appears, from Esther’s description of her mother being upset when her  husband died and didn’t leave any money to support them, that she was a homemaker after she got married. I’m assuming this because it was never clarified, or I can’t find the part where it was. After her husband passes away she has to get a job to support herself and her children. She ends up teaching typing and short hand at the college. Esther’s mother seems to value the virtue of a woman. She believes that a woman should still be “pure” until they are married. She even goes so far as to send Esther a article in which the main point is that “only marriage can bring the two worlds” of a woman’s and man’s emotions together. Based off of this I would assume that Mrs. Greenwood hasn’t been intimate since her husband passed away since she hasn’t been remarried. Mrs. Greenwood seems to be very interested in Esther’s life. She seems proud of the fact that her daughter is getting an education and is doing well at that. At times she does seem concerned that it isn’t enough however. Esther seems to only tolerate her mother. She seems to be very annoyed with little things her mother does like the fact that her mother wants her to learn short hand or even how she breathes while she is sleeping. She even states that she tries not to live under the same roof as her mother for more than a week. I think that she portrays a positive female role in the fact that she wants the best for her kids and works hard to support them. I don’t however think she would be a positive role for women with her beliefs in the differences between sexuality for men and women. I don’t think it is a healthy way to look at the topic and wouldn’t want others to be influenced by the way she feels about the topic.

One thought on “Carol Cruz

1. You have done a nice character analysis of Esther’s mother even though the book hasn’t provided us with a lot of information about her yet. We will see more of Mrs. Greenwood as the novel progresses, and I think you will see that she means well but has a lot of traditional and limiting ideas about men and women. Your observation that it isn’t a “healthy way to look at the topic” is really accurate. Being around her mother actually makes Esther’s mental health decline drastically.