Visual Poverty in NYC

There isn’t a day that goes by that i done see some sort of poverty in NYC. Most of what I see occurs in the subway everyday. Almost everyday someone comes in the train and announces that they are homeless and would value anything you give them. But in a city where people are always on the move  and speed is always increasing there is not a lot of attention to the homeless. As well not everyone can afford to give money to every homeless person they see in the subway. With this recently concluded election, who knows what will be done to change the amount of poverty in the country. Mayor Bill De Blasio just over a year ago announced a plan to help reduce the poverty rate by raising the minimum wage to give everyone a chance but that faces difficulty as raising the minimum wage is a state decision. What I seem to notice most about the homeless is that, while New York is a very diverse city, most are either Hispanic or African American or Asian. I read a few months ago that just under fifty percent of New York’s population is homeless. That mean just under fifty percent in made up of those three ethnic groups. In all honesty those are pretty disheartening numbers. Most of the time on the train, i have my headphones in my ear but those times when i listen to them explain their situation, one thing reoccurs. They receive little to no help from the government. Somehow you have to acknowledge that the homeless seek help from society and its officials. As Audre Lorde says in Age, Race, Class, Sex: Women Redefining Difference, “change means growth, and growth can be painful. But we sharpen self-definition by exposing the self in work and struggle together with those whom we define as different from ourselves, although sharing the same goals.(Lorde123)

3 thoughts on “Visual Poverty in NYC

1. Hi Dinesh, I can relate to your experience and I would agree that we can’t afford to give back to the homeless population as we would. The government has shelters for the homeless but as you’ve said the numbers have grown and shelters are over-populated leaving many people on the street. Although the minimum wage may increase, that does not guaranteed that many homeless individuals will get jobs because they need to look presentable everyday.

2. You are right,Homelessness is a big problem in the world that I fear won’t have a solution soon. Unless someone comes up with a way to reduce the number of homeless and make money doing it

3. I think this is an important issue in New York and that something should definitely be done about it. I also had times where I experienced some situations on the train where homeless people would tell their story and its really heartbreaking and I do give when I’m able.