The Problem Women Have

Introduction:

Esther’s life as a school girl. The expectations that of her.

Thesis statement: Esther doesn’t fit in with traditional expectations regarding men, eating habits, or career choice.

Body:

Esther’s eating habits:

“One bowl was strategically between me and Doreen’s empty chair… Betsy, on my right, would be too nice to ask me to share it with her I just kept it out of her way at my elbow.” (Plath 26)

“Covered the chicken slices with caviar thickly as if I were spreading peanut butter on a piece of bread.” (Plath 27)

Esther’s disregard of marriage:

“I’m never going to get married.” (Plath 93)

Esther’s dislike of housewife duties for herself:

“cook and clean and was was just what Buddy Willard’s mother did from morning till night.”

“a dreary and wasted life for a girl with fifteen years of straight A’s.”

Conclusion:

Esther doesn’t fit in with some of the expectations of women such as eating a certain way, her views on marriage and her career aspirations.

The women in this time had many of expectations of them that some women may not have wanted to fulfill because they had other aspirations.

One thought on “The Problem Women Have

1. HI Carol, Your outline is nicely organized. The structure of your thesis provides a strong organizational tool for your essay, and I can see that you follow the “map” provided in the thesis as you organize your body paragraphs. That’s good! At this point, you only include the pieces of evidence that you will use in your body paragraphs, but you don’t provide the argumentation moves that will happen in order to support your argument. As you are writing your draft, I want you to keep in mind that this essay is making an argument, *your* argument. Imagine that your reader would disagree with you and each paragraph should be devoted to convincing them of your claims using analysis of the text and logical argumentation. If you stay focused on this goal, it will help you move beyond summary to analysis.
    LW