Ese Abamwa

While I was reading fear by Laura Franks in the sidebar on page 51 of “Components of Gender” I saw that the way Laura decide to face her problem was by facing them straight forward. Laura is someone who has “refused to play gender games what I think that means is she is not going to follow the norm about how she should react to different stuff. What it has to do with fear is that she won’t let it control her she will overcome. You know when you go to amusement parks and you get on a ride and the first time your freak out but the more you ride it the less scary it becomes the fear you once had decreases each time you face it until it disappears completely. In Esther experience I believe that She faces discomfort when she does not properly perform the gender role that is expected of her by society. In the group of girls she feels like the odd one out the needle in the haystack. Esther has changed though the story from the past and present and has perform gender roles properly out of fear. In a flashback in my book on page 31 where we get a girl telling Esther she has a “male”visitor and when we get that she decides to comb her hair and put on some lipstick even take a book to make it look that she on my way to the library if it turned out to be somebody awful. In those lines we see how as a women she is expected to keep herself nice and neat even when meeting an unknown man. Esther cared what the unidentified man thought of her so she made herself presentable. Now in the present we have her saying “I hadn’t washed my hair for three weeks, either.”. Her reason being that is was silly to her to wash one day when she would only have to wash again the next day. Her past self is gone she doesn’t care about what society sets for her anymore she is going to do her and not care about anyone opinions any more.

2 thoughts on “Ese Abamwa

1. Great points Ese, I do agree, as we getting further into the book, it seems as if Esther cares less about keeping up with her looks and following the norms set by society. I wrote something similar according to Laura Franks quote about her not following the norms of society.