Clara Muriel

Ā  Ā  Ā In the ā€œBell Jarā€ by Sylvia Plath which is about a young woman and her struggles in New York City, starting her career but faces traditions and options that may not be ideal for her. The main character Esther is becoming a women in the mid 20th Century, she has many women in her life who show her all her options on who she can become. One being her boss at the magazine that she works at, Jay Cee. Jay Cee is viewed as this woman who is all work and has no mind for her appearance. For example ā€œShe looked terrible ,but wiseā€(pg 36). She is known to be very wise and strict to a fair extent. She is the best at what she does but isnā€™t expected to be seen as beautiful. Jay Ceeā€™s characteristics being smart, kind, strict, fair, professional and moral, she values professionalism. Esther views her as her ā€˜best choices possible future role model, especially in a world where women with great careers will lose all that after marriage. I personally view her as starting point, women can be both beautiful and about their careers. It also not fair to judge appearances and to be so vain in a time about womenā€™s fight for equality. For women to have a great example like Jay Cee in a moment when even the company is being controversial, such as presenting material items that are all for appearance to women who need different resources to start the careers they wish to proceed.

2 thoughts on “Clara Muriel

1. I think your personal view on Jay Cee is very interesting. Due to her success I think most people would view her as a stopping point. They would want to get to her level and be happy with that. I assume that you strive for greater if Jay Cee is your starting point.

2. Hmm that’s strange I logged in to see if you have replied to my comment & it wasn’t even their?? But yes Jay Cee is who I wrote about and I wanted to ask what do you think would have happened with the girls trail of thought if Jay Cee were to be a beautiful women and when I say beautiful I mean like drop dead gourges ..?