My Philosophy of Nursing

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  Nursing is defined as ā€œa profession within the health care sector focused on the care of individuals, families, and communities so they may attain, maintain, or recover optimal health and quality of life.ā€ I view nursing as a profession that provides the optimal care for every individual around the world. I firmly believe that nursing is a profession that actively advocates in a wide range of domains for individuals, families, communities, organizations, and society as a whole. Iā€™m so proud nursing is becoming more and more professional and occupies an important position in health care today. However, I consider the most valuable component of nursing is not about its profession, but about its love. To quote Mother Teresa, ā€œIt is not how much you do but how much love you put in the doing.ā€ This is how I view what nursing is.

One of my favorite professors in my nursing school has his favorite catchphrase ā€œNothing is better than a good assessmentā€. This catchphrase has become my motto and I keep reminding myself to be a good nurse everyday.Ā  ā€œA good assessmentā€ requires a nurse not only to have solid professional skills when providing care to clients, but also requires love when caring for clients. Without love, an assessment would not be a good assessment. I believe only when I as a nurse, put my genuine love and care for my clients can they feel my sincerity and open up their minds and show me what they really need; and only as clients open up their minds can appropriate care be delivered to meet their true needs and heal their body and soul. Without love of care, professional alone would not be able to assess clientsā€™ real condition. Since the real condition of the client cannot be revealed, the unmatched care could not be effective.

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  As a professional nurse, I will engage in lifelong learning to consolidate old knowledge while replenishing myself with new knowledge so as to become a fully-developed professional to provide the best care to my clients. Most importantly, I will always be caring for my clients with genuine love no matter what their cultures, religions, country of origins, colors and human races are, because I believe all humans are equal and deserve respect and care. As caring is the essence of nursing, Iā€™m here to care for others regardless of who they are and where they come from.