Teaching and Learning

Throughout the years, I have taken part in programs that have employed different teaching and learning styles. From pre-school all the way to college, my experiences have informed my teaching and learning philosophy. Other programs such as distance learning and online learning have also played an important role in shaping my philosophy. My teaching philosophy can best be described as being student-centered. I strongly believe that students play an integral role in the classroom and determine the success of teaching and learning. In my teaching, I often employ teaching strategies that respond to the needs of the learners and also incorporate their level of understanding of the subject matter.

As a believer of student centered learning, I lean more towards cognitivism and constructivism schools of thought. With cognitivism, I always employ the problem-solving approach to teaching as it ensures a higher success of learning as compared to the reproduction of facts method. I believe that children learn better from solving problems and social interaction. In class, I prefer using methods such as group discussions, learning stations, debates and custom made activities to enhance the teaching experience. Also, as a believer of constructivism, I always ensure that children take direction of their own learning. My role in the classroom is only as a facilitator of student learning. Consequently, the students are able to develop their own learning and character. Under this teaching method, learners are provided an opportunity to shape their own destinies and take responsibilities of the own actions (Bates, 2016). In my teaching, I always emphasize on the learners developing personal meaning through analysis, on-going mental processing and reflection.

Having been a learner for a very longtime, I have come to clearly understand the leaning process among students. Teaching and learning are closely linked and as such, my learning philosophies are closely linked to my teaching philosophies. Teaching activities that engaged students more always made the subjects interesting and easier to understand. Similarly, my teaching methods are always aimed at promoting student learning. In my classroom, I would employ teaching strategies such as games, discussions, role playing, story-telling and asking of questions; all of which are aimed at enhancing the learning process. I also strive at incorporating technology in the classroom such as the use of interactive boards and iPads to make the classroom more interactive. The uses of these technologies make the classroom livelier and break the monotony of the normal classroom processes. As it is with progressivism, when students play a central role in the learning process, they are more likely to be successful.