Learning Self-Analysis

The RN-BSN program in New York City College of Technology provides registered nurses the opportunity to obtain a bachelor’s degree in nursing by taking courses online and traditional classes. I will graduate and receive my bachelor’s degree in nursing after the next semester in June, 2015. This program gave me the opportunity to go back to school and at the same time keep my job. I do think that obtaining my BSN has helped me think more critically, be more aware of the importance of evidence based practice, and gave me deeper knoweledge about healthcare disparities and community based needs. I know that at my current point in my nursing career, the BSN program was helpful to me in practice and better understanding of that practice. This program has given me the skills to be an effective leader in any future nursing position I apply for. Being in the program taught me a lot about my potential for leadership as a nurse. I also learned that it is very important to take care of our communities where we live. Before the BSN program, I never thought about what my community needs, but now I have realized that I can identify areas in the community where health-promotion information can be provided. I plan to continue my education and receive a master’s degree after the BSN program because I feel that nurses have a responsibility to be as well educated as possible.