Victor Moscoso

I was very fortunate to find out about an event at Cooper with the renowned psychedelic poster artist, hand letterer, and underground cartoonist

Victor Moscoso. Moscoso was mostly known for his Psychedelic posters and his illustrations during the 60’s and 70’s.

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 9.47.02 PM

My obsession with psychedelic art lead me to really find an interest in  Moscoso’s work.  This event was a very unique experience for me and it made me think of design with a brand new set of eye’s.

“Lettering Can Be Anything”

. Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 10.01.35 PM

What Moscoso meant  by this phrase was that when one designs letters it can be created out anything. I didnt understand what he was trying to convey until this came on the screen. Then it all made sense. As we look at this poster you notice is a vase or a tree with flowers. But if we look carefully the flowers/Leaves actually make up words.

Another thing that I found very interesting about Moscoso was that he believes that  Black destroys color. All his posters were designed with only Red , Yellow, Blue. Its quite the contrast when I design mostly because, I try to design in black and white first and then add color.

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 10.07.26 PM

What I got out of this event was that design has so many rules and regulations. But sometimes braking the rules can result in something very beautiful and interesting.