Project Description:

In my Spring 2024 semester at Pratt Institute, I took Illustration II. Our assignment was to create an infographic and we got to choose whatever topic we wanted it to be on. So I chose to do mine on the timeline of video game consoles. We were allowed to draw them physical or digital, I chose to do mine digital.

Process:

Original Sketch:

First I had to research different consoles, see what year they were released, and put them in chronological order. I chose 11 consoles: Magnavox Odyssey, Atari 2600, ColecoVision, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, Gameboy, Play Station, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, and the Nintendo Switch. There were many more made but I wanted to choose the most iconic/classic ones.

Then I sketched out the first page so I could get a general idea of what I wanted the infographic’s format to look like. I was originally just gonna have the title at the top, the body text at the bottom, a drawing of the first video game console in the center, and have its year on the side. But it gave me a bunch of negative space, so I added the Atari 2600 (in the final version) to fill the spaces. I was even going to put the year in retro televisions, but I felt like that would’ve been too much or too distracting.

I traced each console from images, gave them a short description as well as popular games that were played on each system, and finally put them in chronological order. This entire project was made in Procreate. If I had to change one thing, it would be to add the text through Adobe InDesign or Illustrator to make each paragraph more neat. But other than that, I’m really proud of this project.

Additional Images: