Personal Statement

My name is Suzzette Duran, and I have always been a people person, and living in New York it is very rare to find some one who is. Right now I live in Brooklyn, work full time for Federation of Organizations, an agency that caters tto serving the mentally ill population of New York Stat, and go to school full time at New York City College of Technology. Sometimes I may not feel good or want to socialize, but because my job call for me to socialize with my case load, co-workers and communicate with outside entities it is important for me to loosen up and become a people person.

I am studying Human Services to eventually attain my master’s degree in social work. My choice population to work with is the mentally disabled. It is a fascinating community with a lot of challenges and it keeps me coming back for more.

Many of the experiences I possess are attributed to my eight years in the mental heath field. I started out as a data entry clerk for New York Psychotherapy and Counseling Center in Brooklyn and eventually I began running groups within three months. Once I started running groups and getting to know the clients I realized that this was something I wanted to learn more about.

Two years later, in 2006 I was recommended for a supportive case management position at an adult home, where I am presently stationed. This position allows me to learn all about the human service field and the importance of communicating and working hands on with individuals towards achieving their goals.

At the end of educational career I hope to raise awareness on the mentally disabled population. I want people to know that everyone, whether they are physically or mentally disabled