My responsibilities

As I started my internship, we were initially assigned simple tasks. We were asked to state our main focus and what we wanted to improve about OpenLab. Based on our responses, we were then grouped into teams of two.

We were assigned to share 10 things we love about OpenLab by creating a buzz. Each of us chose a fun fact and drafted a post for the buzz. For my part, I thought it would be great to include a picture to illustrate the fun fact. Instead of using a random internet picture, I decided to hand-draw CityTech staff and students of different races, religions, and ages to add a personal touch.

Created by Saria Tabassum

As we worked as a team, we were assigned a major project to find accessibility-ready themes. First, we created a Google doc to outline our proposal and then created a timeline to plan our work throughout the internship. If you look on the left, week 4 marked the beginning of our assignment to the major project. From there, my partner and I initiated the process of mapping out our approach and meticulously organizing the timeline, which served as our guide throughout the entire journey.

WordPress App testing was another important task that was assignment to my team only. This program simplifies the login process by providing two simple options: create an account or provide a URL link. After entering my OpenLab ePortfolio link, I was effortlessly transferred to the login screen, where I entered my OpenLab credentials. This easy approach quickly brought me into the dashboard, giving me access to a variety of features such as posts, media, pages, comments, and external settings setup.

This app seems tailor-made for facilitating academic engagement, particularly for students. Its simplicity and straightforward interface make it an ideal platform for quick tasks like posting discussion board questions or commenting on peers’ posts. For someone who prefers typing on their phone for shorter tasks, this app’s mobile friendly design would be a boon. It provides a hassle-free experience for on the go interactions, while still offering functionality for longer compositions when needed. Overall, its user-friendly nature and direct approach make it a valuable tool for students seeking efficient and effective ways to engage with course materials and classmates.