About the Organization

Source: Freepik

What is OpenLab

OpenLab City Tech serves as a dedicated platform exclusively designed for City Tech students, staff, professors, and anyone who is interested. It provides a space where users can create projects and invite collaborators. Professors frequently use OpenLab for posting assignments, discussion board questions, and other academic content, while students can conveniently submit their work in the designated place.

Users have the opportunity to create personalized ePortfolios to showcase a variety of content, including projects, research papers, journals, and more. Privacy settings can be adjusted to keep content private or share it with the public, offering flexibility and control over personal contributions.

What I learned

Working with OpenLab helped me to gain valuable insights into its user-friendly interface and functionality. Recognizing the ease of navigation and utilization, our objective is to extend this accessibility to fellow students. As interns, we are dedicated to enhancing the user experience and simplifying the utilization of OpenLab. Our mission is to empower students with the tools and knowledge to leverage OpenLab effectively, making a more smooth and productive academic environment for everyone.

Our main tasks:

One of our main goal was to create a strong ePortfolio that could serve as a source of inspiration for students. Our objective is to encourage them to use the OpenLab ePortfolio to showcase their work. Everyone at City Tech can join the OpenLab students, faculty, staff, and alums. On the OpenLab, everyone can create, experiment, innovate, and share with the larger community.

Throughout my internship, we relied on Asana for communication and task assignment. While I hadn’t previously used Asana, my familiarity with a similar platform, Trello, made the transition seamless. Each task category had a different name: “Questions” for questions about our work, “Resources” for sharing useful information, “To Do” for tasks to be done during the internship, and “In Progress” for ongoing work. Asana helped us organize our workflow, collaborate more efficiently, and respond quickly to any questions we had. It helped us have a more structured and effective internship experience.