Teaching Responsibilities

The tasks, the scope, the challenges and the teaching implementations over time are documented below:

1st semester at CUNY (Jan-May 2016) -Background & Scope

• I came to the Department of Radiologic Technology & Medical Imaging as the Program Director of BS in Radiological Science (BSRS, as we keep calling it for convenience). After my doctoral and post-doctoral semesters, from 1993 onward I worked as a pragmatic radiology manager and an idealistic radiology teacher/researcher.  I applied and was selected for the current position for which, I  believe I had the preparation and the inclination.

One and half semesters later (July 2017) -Teaching & Service

• By 2017 I understood some of the values and products we were offering. The AAS students were very dedicated; BS students wanted the degree but also had the question, why.  The correct answer probably was science and quality. I told them that. But more than telling, actually training them on that became my job.  Could I have chosen an easier goal! Yes, if I could change my nature.

Third and fourth year (2018-2019) –Service to Department, to College, to the Discipline

Major degree modification (BSRS going from to three-track journey).

• From 2016 to 2017 our Rad Tech faculty and clinical affiliates were talking about specialization within Radiology would be desirable. We took the leap and I took the lead with blessings from colleagues and college. Offering the specialized tracks required discipline knowledge, understanding the market and additional faculty.  One year of work, refinements all through the weekends; and a product was born, with 12 new courses.
  • BSRS was quite new in 2016, somewhat fluid. It is still new, even in 2023, but it has a shape, the science part has gained some traction and a modest recognition in NYC.

We feel this has raised the bar and although BSRS does not have a practice Lab (other than Mammography) we believe the program has an above average rigor due to efforts from faculty, students and clinical partners

Research collaboration across college creating an intense set of “teaching materials” that builds passion as students see their contributions as larger than them (2017-present)

• Radiology, out of nature and necessity, is the playground of dozens of science and technology developments. Our undergraduate research team (20-25 in total; 15 with stipend, 5-10 without) is an interdisciplinary team of current and graduated students from biology, chemistry, nursing and RAD TECH. This interdisciplinary group has re-learned many concepts that were presented to them before or has avoided completely due to complexity.  Now, learning relevance, publishing manuscripts and seeing the value of something that no one has seen in the world before have created a research based education that they may proudly take away from 300 Jay Street.

New BSRS Implementation – 2018  (See Teaching & Service sections)

• We offered specializations starting in 2019. The credentialing body (ARRT) approved our BS courses allowing the graduates to take professional licensure exams. But then came COVID, and we had to pause and innovate.

COVID semesters (2020-2022) – The Battle, the Unity, the Disparity

• Distance teaching and learning both were hard. We tried to adjust in our professional didactic and clinical courses. However, our didactic courses probably were 60-70% effective, Clinicals were …. virtually non-existent.
  • To compensate for the lack of clinical learning, we started several online sessions with my involvement in all courses. The whole department faculty was always brain storming together. Many of our BS students were seriously affected from their daily frontline jobs and their need to shield their family from external COVID sources. However their spirit remained high during the initial battle. NYC was afraid, we all were afraid, as we know too many casualties happened among the brave, and among the have not’s.

What COVID has taught us

• We had adjusted our pace and policies during 2020-2022. The college faced with some difficult economic numbers but our administration handled it as well as possible as did CUNY and part paralyzed NYC.
  • Enrollments in professional fields like ours were steady while many other departments were not so lucky. My fear was that with reduced clinical scopes and hybrid learning our BSRS rigor would drop.
  • The clinical internships opened back up with a reduced capacity, and for a while we believe at a reduced quality, due to the toll on healthcare system.
  • Overall, we did comparatively OK for most of our Radiology students as they are slowly but surely taking credentialing exams and clearing it; also they are getting adequate to multiple job offers.
  • In summary, COVID depleted much of our external resources but helped us to replenish those and gain additional footprints from within. I am thankful to our department and college for all they did, together.

What COVID took away from us

• Opportunity from those who lost family members and resources that otherwise could have come toward more structured, well-planned professional education to thrive and serve in healthcare. They have to make short term goals now.
  • There is a significant salary increase by hospital employers making faculty and student recruitment in health professions harder
  • There is a growing disparity of science and clinical internship preparation among students. Hospitals do not have many skilled technologists left to train the incoming employees.
  • This is more pronounced among frontline health profession students who are taking care of a suddenly COVID-aged population and an untested ad hoc hospital business model.