4130 Professional Nursing Practice

Welcome to my portfolio. My name is Svetlana Polyakova. I started my nursing career from the learning of an English alphabet, when I immigrated to the United States, because I didn’t speak, read, and write in English. I graduated from Kingsborough Community College finishing two years nursing program. My first professional experience was in one-day Surgical Center as an Operating room nurse. Currently, I continue to work as an Operating room nurse. Besides the tasks that Operating nurse performs, I learned how to work within a surgical team, collaborating with other medical professionals like surgeons and anesthesiologists. I am very happy with my decision to pursue a career of nursing, because it challenging, always changing and involves helping people. Working in the Operating room past 3 years, have given me a higher level of respect for the field of nursing. It made me even more determined to grow as a nurse, so why I made a decision to continue my education, and I was enrolled into the Baccalaureate Sciences in Nursing program in the New York City College of Technology.

Philosophy

I believe a culture of caring, as a fundamental part of the nursing profession, characterizing our concern and consideration for the whole person, our commitment to the common good, and our outreach to those who are in need of special care.

My personal philosophy in nursing practice is to provide nonjudgmental care to the patients regardless their cultural backgrounds, believes, values, and ages. The first principle of my philosophy is to care for my patients, as I would like to be treated if I was on their places. I consider the putting self on the patients’ places is the primary principle in the patients care, attempting to understand their challenges.

The second important principle is a building the personal relationships with the patients. It helps them to feel support, and confidence that they have the advocacy from my side. My personal values kindness, honesty and responsibility are very helpful in the establishing the truthful relationship with the patients.

The most influential nursing theory on my personal philosophy was a Watson’s Nursing Theory. She provides many useful concepts for the practice of nursing, however her Holistic Healing Theory close to my own nursing philosophy. I am sharing her vision that nursing practice has to focus on the health the whole person. It means we need recognize not only person’s illness, but address the patients’ psychological and spiritual needs as well.

Self – Analysis

The educational process of the Baccalaureate Sciences in Nursing is helping me   in the realization my goal to commit myself to lifelong learning, continuously updating my knowledge under the changes, giving me more confidence and professionalism while caring for the patients. I think professionalism involves much more than degrees and credentials. It also includes certain work ethic, attitude, and code of conduct, appearance, and communication style. Professional nursing standards and accountability into practice include utilizing American Nurse Association Standards in clinical practice, compliance with the agency standards of practice, accountabilities for actions in the clinical area and awareness of the assigned agency’s mission. I believe that knowledge of these standards, and utilizing them is a guarantee our safely practice, and safely health care providing for the patients. As a nurse, I have to recognize gaps in health care system, being able to find solution to complex problems. Acting as a change agent in advocating to appropriate health care resources for my patients, I have to be aware of any changes in the health system and impact of economic, political, social or demographic forces that affect health care services. I need to apply analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills in the contemporary nursing practice. As a nurse I have to operate a new technology, and analyze the impact of information technology on professional nursing practice.

Besides learning the program I always read the latest magazines and articles doing my own research about changes in nursing. I believe having the broaden knowledge about the health care system can help us to be the good patient’s advocates in solving their complex problems.

Individual strength

Having   the skills and personal strengths, helps the nurses to become a successful nursing professionals. I want to describe my individual strengths that help me in my practice as a nurse.

I can communicate with a large a variety of the patients with different cultural backgrounds in a professional manner as well as with my co-workers. I can cheer away from conflicts, and able handle difficult situations when they arise.

Also, my empathy and compassion for others help me to interact with the patients effectively when the patients display fear, anxiety or depression, resentment or anger. When I show to the patients my care, and my understanding, it helps them to cope with their concerns.

I am very flexible. When it comes to work overtime or to relief some of the nurses, I always ready to help, understanding the difficulty of the situation.

I am very good in prioritizing of the tasks, and time management, which are very important in nursing career. My ability to work within a team, with calmly behavior in the stressful situations, I also consider as my valuable quality.

My healthy lifestyle outside of nursing helps me to maintain physical endurance, and gives more energy on the field.

I respect people and rules, and understand that the patient comes first.

Course Paper #3

Comprehensive Critique: Part II

Svetlana Polyakova

NUR 3110

Prof. Kathleen Falk, DNS, FNP

New York City College Of Technology

December 9, 2015

A Critique of Nursing Case Management, Peer Coaching, and Hepatitis A and B Vaccine

Completion Among Homeless Men Recently Released on Parole

The following paper will critique the evidence quality of the randomized clinical trial: Nursing Case Management, Peer Coaching, and Hepatitis A and B Vaccine Completion Among Homeless Men Recently Released on Parole, conducted by Nyamathi et al. (2015). I will conduct a critique by analyzing data collection and measurement, procedure of the study, and analyze the data and findings.

It is very essential in any research to describe how the data was collected during the study, and how it was measured since it helps to determine how accurate the study is.

According to Pilot & Beck “ existing records, are an important data source for nurse researchers”. Also “ if existing data are unsuitable for a research question, research must collect new data. In developing their data collection plan; researchers make many important decisions including basic type of data together.” (p.184)

This study built upon the study that was developed earlier when “ a combination of the HAV and HBV vaccine, Twinrix , was developed by GlaxoSmithKline and approved by the Food and Drug administration (Centers for Disease control and Prevention, 2012).” (Nyamathi et al.2015). The differences were of “varying levels of peer-coached and nurse-led programs designed to improve HAV/HBV vaccine receptivity at 12-month follow-up among homeless offenders recently released to parole.” However according previous study “ although accelerated vaccination programs have shown success in RCT studies, including those utilizing nurse case management, little is known about vaccine completion among an ex-offender population using varying intensities of nurse case management and peer coaches.”(Nyamathi et al. 2015). Thus, the data taken for the basis from the previous study was upgraded, and homeless offenders which were “ out of jail/prison > 6 months” tested as well.

The key variables were operationalized using different methods to collect data and measure it in this study. According Pilot & Beck “ regardless of type of data collected in the study, data collection methods vary along several dimensions, including structure, quantifiability, and objectivity. Data for quantitative studies tend to be quantifiable and structured, with the same information gathered from all participants in a comparable, prespecified way.”(p.184) In this study “structured questionnaire” were used to collect “sociodemographic information”, like race/ethnicity, age, education, marital status of the participants.

To obtain personal information “included drug, alcohol, and tobacco use”, or “history of hospitalization for psychiatric and substance use problems and past treatment for alcohol or drug problems)” the researchers used “ a modified version of the Texas Christian University Drug History Form” (Nyamathi et al.2015). As Pilot & Beck says “questionnaire offer possibility anonymity, which may be crucial in obtaining information about certain behavior, opinions, or traits.” (p.186) Thus, the way to obtain often hidden personal information through questionnaire instead face-to-face interview was a good choice in this case.

Â