Assignment #3: Research Career Paths

Image result for medical field

In this assignment I was asked to write about what researched I accomplished to gather more information about the careers that are interested to me, and what I have learned about these careers, but first I want to talk about the careers that are appealing to me.  

The careers that are appealing to me are dental hygienist, and ultrasound technician (Rad Tech). Dental hygienist gives the opportunity to help people maintaining their teeth and gums in good health and is a very important form of primary care that can prevent many oral diseases.  The second career that is very interested to me is ultrasound tech, which sparked my attention when I had an ultrasound done the science behind ultrasounds are very interested to me. I believe this career gives you the chance to help all types of people. 

Dental Hygienist was the career I was aiming to go and start this year. the programs here at city tech are very competitive, and unfortunately, I was not accepted in the program. When I knew I was not accepted into the program I started searching for other schools, or a different career. I felt stuck, but I went to other private schools and their programs are all at daytime, which it did not fit my schedule, but what strike me the most was the prices. An associate degree in a private school is up to 65,000 dollars. That’s the reason why city tech is so competitive. City Tech and Cuny in general offer great education at very affordable cost.  

The second program that I’m interested is Rad Tech, or ultrasound technician. I have done plenty of research regarding this career, and again a lot of day classes and in most of these careers the different colleges encourage you not to work because your full attention is needed in order to complete the program. The research I did was about different schools and the license requirements, which is very confusing and is a lot of information. There are schools that offer training and a spot for the license exam, but one of the requirements are to have an associate’s in anything health related.   

In conclusion there is a lot of research a lot of planning, and lot more of studying in order to get to the program, and the career that spark that interest. In my experience things did not happened as I planned, so I had to adapt and to plan other routes to get what I want to accomplish.  My first step now is to graduate in city tech with an Associate’s in Science in Health Science, which is the steppingstone to another great things I have planned. I’m looking forward to visit the different health departments in City Tech to have a deeper sense of the fields I have in mind. I think this is very important to make decisions.