Ethics in Design I – A

For my organization’s first round of assignments I was asked to do some work with their social media, and internal and external communications. Before any of this could be done, however I was given the organization’s style guide. The style guide consisted of 119 pages of carefully crafted and detailed specs for all company logos, images, and layouts. For the initial mockups I used a placeholder that resembled the colors used on an image on their website. After the initial review I was given access to the company’s full library of images of past events to pull from and use to create a final draft.

When posting on my own social media, most of them are created by me, but when working on an institution’s social media it is different in that we can only use certain approved images and images that the museum owns or has acquired the rights/license to. As it mentioned in the readings, sourcing of images and illustration must be done with the author’s consent and through the proper channels to ensure credit and compensation are rightfully distributed. The thought of ending in arbitration to the likes of the Obama Hope Poster fiasco has given me a new respect for ensuring my images are accredited appropriately.

Citations