Learning Self- analysis of Nursing program

The New York City College of Technology nursing program has given me the opportunity to acquire the necessary knowledge, skills and competencies to become a Registered Nurse. As a professional nurse, these skills and knowledge are central to the performance of my duty. Also, being a profession that requires critical thinking when demonstrating patient care, I’ll be able to deal with challenging situations by quickly coming up with action plans. I have also been able to close my current skills gap and polish up those that i already have.

The clinical experience helped me gain skills such as introducing urinary catheters, patient observation in terms of planning and recording care, patient assessment, care for acute and chronically ill patients, monitoring vital signs, ensuring patient hygiene, and discharge planning among others.

The lecture classes and peer-reviewed guided me to obtain awareness in terms such as, safety practices, therapeutic communication, infection prevention, time management, medication administration, leadership skills, patient advocacy and many others.

The knowledge obtained in the nursing program combined with the compassion i have for others, has created a skilled nurse with the ability of giving excellent patient care. I work as a GI nurse in a surgical ambulatory center and i am currently starting my new journey as an emergency room nurse. Without the guidance and knowledge received from New York City College of Technology’s nursing program i would have not had the capabilities to excel in my career as a nurse.