Professional Essay

Sade Kornagay                                                                                                April 20, 2012

Prof: Quinones                                                                                                HUS 1207

Human Services Seminar

Professional Essay

I was born and raised in Harlem, New York. I now live in Staten Island, New York where I also had completed my high school education. I graduated from Kingsborough Community College, with an Associate in Community Health. My concentration was Substance Abuse Counseling. I now attend New York City College of Technology, to pursue a bachelor’s degree, in Human Service.

I have decided to become a Human Service worker. I want to help others because I feel that I have the potential to help other overcome their obstacles within their life, I enjoy talking to people one on one or in a group. I have some of kind of knowledge of how the system works. I also feel what influenced me to go into this field is some of the members of my family because they always come to me when they need help or to talk out any sort of problem they are going through. I’m always the one there to help and make them feel better or to give them an advice.  I also know that in order to be a successful social worker you may need to stay and work extra hours.

My personal and professional strengths that will enhance my effectiveness for professional practice that would make a an effective human service worker is that I am a high energy level person and I have the ability to thrive in a fast paced environment, I am able to work independently as a member or with a group, I am reliable, dependable and trust worthy, I have strong organizational skills and a high level of attention to detail. I also process excellent interpersonal and communication skills. I feel that what would truly make me an affective human service worker is that I’m a hard working person who is dedicated to my work.

The client population that I would like to work with is people with alcohol and drug addictions because I feel that they need a lot of help, and that they can be educated about the use of drugs and how it affects their body. The unique qualities that people with alcohol and drug addictions have is that they have the ability to change and some of them are kind hearted people with addictions and they need effective and motivational counseling. The challenges and strengths of the client that interests me is maintaining a healthy and clean state of mind and for people who use drugs and for the ones who that are not ready to stop they should be educated on how to use and do these drugs safely.

The skills that I need to learn to professionally serve this population is motivational interviewing skills, how to be a professional counselor and experience in working with groups. I want to serve this specific population because I feel I have the necessary skills to be an effective worker and I also have experience working in this field. What I believe that Human Service needs of this population is a lot of effective and motivated counselors who care about their clients. The human service skills that I am developing to specifically assist this population’s unique needs are professional counseling skills, how to handle group dynamic problems and how to deal with critical issues.

In ten years following I see myself as a successful and effective case worker as well as working on my Master’s Degree in social work to become an excellent successful effective social worker because you cannot become a social worker without having a Master’s degree in social worker. I want to someday work in a Hospital setting or maybe a private practice. I’m also thinking about opening up my own Substance Abuse non-profit organization for people with all kinds of drug and alcohol addictions who had two or more relapse episodes.

Good counselors are what we need in the world, but we need many effective counselors in the world to help people who need help and to give them an effective lecture about life. I feel that if many people value life the way that some people do maybe they would not do half of the things that they do now. Like for instance being that life is so precious you would not do anything that would jeopardize it in such a way that you may either destroy it or kill yourself. This is why we need more successful and effective counselors in the world today.