Line Design

IMAG0045

One of my personal favorite projects this semester was the Line Design assignment. This assignment was given to us to show examples of “Work” and “Play” in our own way using only lines. A couple Terms used throughout this project were “Form” , ” Shape”, “Space’ , “Texture”, “Balance” , “Pattern”, “Rhythm”, “Variety” and of course “Line”.

• Form – A three dimensional object or, in an artwork, the representation of a three-dimensional object, defined by contour, height, depth, and width.
  • Shape – A to-dimensional figure created by connecting actual or implied lines that enclose an area of space.
  • Space – The open or empty area round, above, between, within, or below objects.
  • Texture – The way the surface feels ( actual texture ) or looks ( visual texture ).
  • Balance – The arrangement of the parts of an artwork to give an overall sense of equality in visual weight.
  • Pattern – The regular repetition of colors, lines, shapes, or forms in an artwork.
  • Rhythm – A sense of movement achieved by the repetition of one or more elements of art, such as colors, lines, shapes, or forms in an artwork.
  • Variety – The use of different elements of art to add interest to an artwork.
  • Line – A mark on a surface, usually created by a pen, pencil, or brush. Lines vary in width, length, direction, color, and degree of curve, and can be two-dimensional or implied.

When we first started, we were asked to write down what do the words “Work” and “Play” mean to you. Everyone had there own opinion. Some words I wrote for Work were Structure, Repetitive, Boring, Boss, Money & Stress. Some words I wrote for Play were Music, Random, Toys, Light, Fun, Overlapping and All over the place.

After finding our own meanings, we had to show them using lines. We made a bunch of examples of lines of each meaning then narrowed them down each day. Eventually I ended up with 4 (see image). The final terms for each square were “Peaceful” and “Dizzy” for Play and “Structure” and “Charts” for Work. I wanted to use the negative space for the play to show structure and shape of each in Play and Work.

One thing I learned from this assignment was the power of repetition and negative space. I had fun experimenting and using various lines to show a shape element.