Okay, so how do we really truly help our students?

Answer One: Meet them where they live

And just where do they live, Online? Here are a few screenshots from a recent survey I conducted with my students in Freshman English (1121):

students don’t exercise Click Restraint, an essential first strike in combating misinformation!
…and of course, they don’t use our CUNY Library
Students aren’t comfortable with using the Library…
…in part, because they can’t frame a questions, and in part, because the Library interface isn’t user friendly.

Here are all the results from my survey–ONLINE RESEARCH PRACTICES:

Three sections of freshmen English students were surveyed anonymously; for a direct link in Hi-Res see https://1drv.ms/p/s!Av_BRpIP4Uueg24sC07Uo99oCEHF

I am glad I made my survey anonymous. That said, good conversations can be had about this with freshmen writer/researchers. For instance:

Most students don’t know that really good information lies behind paywalls–and that their CUNY EMPLID will get them access to it.

They don’t realize that this information, though harder to find at the outset, is worth seeking in the long run.

CUNY’s Libraries spend upwards of 3 million dollars a year to make good data available to its students and faculty. I think that this bargain should be touted in classes, workshops — more than it is! $$$.

Now that I said this, let’s get back to the ways we can meet our students where they live Online. Some healthier social media suggestions are in order. Check my post, here.