Course Work & Competencies

The course work that have prepared me to work with my population of interest is Child Psychology, Community Organizing and Development, Counseling Methods, Case Management,  and Group Work Practice. The assignments given in each course all played a part in helping me to gain the skills and knowledge needed to work with the population of my choice. The assignments given that were most helpful includes terms papers, group assignments, service plans, biopsychosocial, intake assessments, case studies, proposals, process recordings, and the experiences that I gained while working at both of my internship sites. In addition all my Human Service courses required some form of effective group participation and stressed the importance of professional ethics, confidentiality, empathy towards the client, and not being bias. All in all throughout my college career and later on while working in the field I can continue to build on the skills that I have already acquired.

COURSE WORK & COMPETENCIES
COURSE NAME COURSE ID COMPETENCIES
CHILD PSYCHOLOGY PSY 2301  

I learned about famous and influential Child Psychologists including B. F. Skinner, Sigmund Freud, Erik Erikson, and Albert Bandura. While learning about each theorist I gained insight about the stages of child development including their behavioral problems, social skills, and their emotional and mental well-being

COMMUNITY ORGANIZING & DEVELOPMENT HUS 2307  

I was well-formed about different advocacy policy change strategies such as lobbying, social networking, and policy researches. I also learned how to conduct a study on an issue of my choice. I choose to focus on Stop and Frisk which was a prevalent issue that was  affecting low-income neighborhoods. Also, I was able to attend my first protest.

COUNSELING METHODS HUS 3501  

I learned about counseling theories such as Integrative Theory, Multicultural Counseling, Object Relations Theory, and Psychoanalytic Theory. I was also able to build on my counseling skills by meeting with volunteered clients on two separate occasions and conducting process recordings

CASE MANAGEMENT HUS 3503  

I gained insight about how to conduct assessments, intakes, evaluations, and goal settings. The importance of having good communication and listening skills in order to talk with clients and to advocate on their behalf.

GROUP WORK PRACTICE HUS 3504  

The skills I gained from this course is patients and active listening and participation. I also learned about the stages of group development and the impact it has on a person’s behavior as well as working effectively with others in order to get a desirable outcome.

Â