Internships

Court Street Dental – Brooklyn, NY: 

This internship was introduced by the JFEW scholarship I received. During the summer of 2023, I had the incredible opportunity to work at a dental office despite having no prior real-world experience as a dental hygiene student. The warm welcome I received from the office staff immediately eased my nerves and made me feel at home. Working alongside a registered hygienist, who also happened to be a New York City College of Technology graduate, I quickly immersed myself in various aspects of dental care. From taking radiographs to observing treatments and assisting in patient care verbally, I eagerly absorbed every aspect of the dental office environment. I actively engaged with patients, asking about their oral health and assisting in setting up procedures like laser treatments, SRPs, zoom whitening sessions, and iTero scans. Every moment spent in the office provided me with invaluable insight into the daily operations of a dental practice, and I cherished the experience wholeheartedly.

My time at the dental office allowed me to gain firsthand experience and a deeper understanding of what it truly means to work in the field of dental hygiene. Despite my initial lack of experience, the supportive atmosphere of the office empowered me to contribute effectively and learn rapidly. From interacting with patients to assisting with various procedures, I embraced every opportunity to grow my knowledge and skills. Witnessing the dedication and professionalism of the dental team increased my passion for dental hygiene. Overall, my summer spent at the dental office was nothing short, but it helped me know and affirm my love for the profession and providing exceptional oral care to patients in the future.