My summer, surely like most everyone else’s, was very different than any summer I have spent prior. I work at my girlfriend’s family’s restaurant and spring was an especially hectic time for us. After being closed completely for months, and opening briefly for take out and delivery only, the summer brought outdoor seating and with it, breathed life back into our quaint little block of ten restaurants in the West Village. As part of the requirements for outdoor seating, we had a couple carpenter friends of mine build us some beautiful planter boxes as barricades to protect street diners.

We had about a day and a half to fill all the boxes with plastic liner, mulch, soil and finally a plethora of flowers, ivies and herbs. Initially it seemed a daunting task, not only because of the deadline but also because it was something I had never done before. Immediately, I was enthralled by the feeling of earth on my hands, the arranging of the plants and the energy between the small team of us working feverishly to create a stunning new space for our guests to enjoy and admire. I was certainly surprised how much I enjoyed the work, which it didn’t feel like at all in the end.

Of the two stories, “The Tell-Tale Heart” is my favorite mainly because I thoroughly enjoy Poe’s style of writing. The way he writes what comes to mind is thrilling and feels very active. Even in moments of inaction, his narration imparts a sort of steady rhythm to which his thoughts race along to. In addition, the very thought of him attempting to dispel any suspicion of his insanity is amusing and the manner in which he loses course of this objective as the he unravels his tale is a wonderful example of why I fancy his writing style here.