My favorite story that we have read is Assimilation. In the story I found it to be extremely easy to follow and very interesting. I thought that the main character Ramon was a true gentleman who was more of an optimistic traditionalist that hoped to find love in controlled situation where he seemed to always get the shortest end of the stick. I also thought Jelena his bride was a very well thought out character. Her motives at first appeared to be as sinister as the family who arranged her union with Ramon.  She was willing to use and mistreat Ramon in order to get what she wanted.  Going as far as attempting to coerced  him into hitting her. I loved that the writer didn’t isolate Ramon and left him clueless and blinded by love. I like the fact that he allowed him to have guidance from his older brother who looked out for him in a world that he didn’t understand.

The main characters in the story are Ramon, Jelena, the supporting characters are Leon and Borislav.

Borislav employed Ramon, then arranged the marriage of Jelena and Ramon. Ramon made the choice to step out of fate and marry Jelena, and when it looked bad he fought for his marriage. Jelena made the decision to abandon her task and leave with her husband in order to finally be free. Leon was a voice of reason and advice looking out for his brother.

In my opinion Ramon displayed a mixture of Deontology ethics and virtue ethics, he displays this when he spoke about his mom, and the fact that his parents were married for 40 years after being arranged. He hoped that if he valued and respected his bride he may have the same faith. I also saw it in the scene at the beach when Jelena tried to get him to hit her. He knew it was wrong and was taken aback by even the thought of himself doing that and refused. I think that Jelena is a utilitarian and deontologist. I think that all her actions were done in order to make the best outcome for herself at first then my opinion changed right at the end.  I think that in the end she made the right choice by not hurting Ramon and choosing to leave with him and not bringing alexander to America.