Landing “JOAN”

Hi, my name is Patrick Richardson, and I’m a Strategic Visual Designer. You might be wondering what that means, so allow me to explain. I’m a creative professional who approaches every project with craft and intention. Whether I’m designing, baking, or drawing, every ingredient, stroke, and pixel is chosen with a purpose. As a designer, I focus on observable behaviors to understand who I’m creating for, allowing me to see them in their truest form without the distractions of surrounding noise.

The journey to becoming a MAIP fellow was intense. It started with a $25 application fee—arguably the easiest part of the process. Next came the design assignments. Since I applied for the role of Creative Strategist, my task was to redesign an existing product and give it more than one function. I created a paper shopping bag that transforms into a travel packing bag, aiming to reduce paper bag waste.

After completing the design assignment, I needed a recommendation letter. Douglas Davis graciously wrote one for me. Then came the hardest part: the video. It took me two days just to calm my nerves enough to record it. Following the video were two essays that I had to write.

I submitted my application in late December, and in February, I received an email saying that I was a semi-finalist. The next step was an interview, which turned out to be an incredible experience. I approached it as if I were talking to a friend, which allowed my personality, focus, and creative boundaries to shine through. We ended up talking so much that Zoom kicked us out, but I received a thumbs-up from my interviewer.

In mid-March, I got the finalist email, followed by a meeting with 4A’s explaining how to accept our offers. I received an offer from JOAN Creative during the second round of drafting, and now, here I am.