Philosophy

Although I do not practice as a psychiatric nurse. Hildegard Peplau nursing theory can be applied to every field of nursing. The theory states “person, which is a developing organism that tries to reduce anxiety caused by needs; environment, which consists of existing forces outside of the person, and put in the context of culture; health, which is a word symbol that implies forward movement of personality and other other human processes toward creative, constructive, productive, personal, and community living. (Nursing-theory.org, 2019)”. In every and any nursing field it is important to treat the physical symptoms. However, I believe it is just as important to address the mental symptoms as well. At discharge the nurse should address both needs, because our patients need to be healthy physically and mentally. While attending nursing school, I remember my professor telling me: psychiatric patients are not limited to the psych unit. However, you may get a mother in labor and delivery who has psychiatric illness. Or it can be possible to be a clinic nurse and may encounter a psychiatric patient. This is why I believe as nurses we must have the understanding of how important it is to provide detail attention to the patient as a whole.

References

Nursing-theory.org. (2019). Hildegard Peplau Theory – Nursing Theory. [online] Available at: http://www.nursing-theory.org/theories-and-models/peplau-theory-of-interpersonal-relations.php [Accessed 3 May 2019].