Blog #11

First project – General Education Brief Cover options

This Tuesday, my supervisor Isana assigned us our first project via email: to design two different cover options for the general education brief. The covers need to follow the BC visual guideline colors and fonts, and she provided outdated cover designs as references and placeholder text. Since Dariann and John are still working on the heat map, only Manjie, Tarique, and I were tasked with designing the covers.

When I first looked at the previous cover designs Isana sent us, I felt uninspired. I opened Adobe InDesign and stared at it for a few minutes before deciding to mimic the composition and style of the references as a warm-up. After creating two warm-up covers, I gradually started to get ideas and a feel for the design. I began experimenting with various shapes to design the covers, keeping an open mind and not getting too caught up in the references. I used circles, triangles, and rectangles to see what worked, and decided to add a touch of BC gold to complement the maroon, which felt a bit dull on its own. Ultimately, I designed five different covers, including the warm-ups. Personally, I was most satisfied with the last two covers, which featured triangular designs.

In our weekly Thursday meeting, I presented my cover design drafts to Isana. She wasn’t particularly interested in the first two warm-up covers, only suggesting that I try using only BC maroon play with different opacities, and remove the gold. The third cover was a bit plain with a lot of empty space; she suggested adding more circles. When she saw my last two designs, her voice showed more enthusiasm. She expressed that she really liked these last two covers and pointed out areas that needed improvement. At the end of the meeting, she asked me to upload the revised covers to the Google Drive folder she had previously shared. Below are my revised covers.