Solo Flats

One of our projects we also did was the Solo Flats project. In this project we got a scenic drawing of the play Core Values and he had to chose either the east wall or the west wall to break down into flats. For this we used AutoCAD. As I got started, was stuck because it had been a while since I took my scenery classes. I know flats for typically being 4’x8’. This stopped and made me think because as I looked at the drawings, I realized that a lot of the pieces on the west wall were either greater or smaller in size. This was a minor problem but at first I was trying to fit the traditional 4×8 flat into the west wall of the play. I knew then that I had to make a few custom size flats for all the pieces in the west wall, regular or irregular.

After figuring that out, the process got easier. I drew the flats’ outlining on CAD then made a copy of the drawings I made. After that I made a visual of the construction behind the flats (displaying the rails and toggles in a different color). In the real world, I feel like there would be more collaboration between a technical director and a drafter on how to make the flats for the irregularly shaped walls. Overall I would say this project was easy and is a good project for brushing up on my drafting skills.