Introduction

I have been working in the entertainment industry since high school. I started out doing scenery construction, but I quickly realized that lighting was more of my passion. The entertainment industry is very large and covers many different styles of productions, such as concerts, theatre, dance, corporate events, you name it. Usually I tend to only work in the theatrical world where everything is preprogrammed. .357 Lover’s Special Saturday Night Special Show was an exciting opportunity because I had never worked on a concert that is performed live in a sense that there isn’t a week long tech rehearsal process like in the theatrical world.

I was asked if I was interested in being an assistant designer for tech production class. I have never really been an assistant before yet alone an assistant designer. I’ve always wanted to have some experience of being an assistant so I have a general idea of what would be expected of me if I’m offered an assistant position one day. I think being an assistant for the first time in an education situation is a good way for me to gain that experience without as much pressure as the real world. I figured this would be a great idea to use this assistant design for my culmination project.