Ground Plans and Center Line Sections

In Lab 8, the objective was to produce a ground plan and its Centerline Section. I started by placing construction lines at the 0,0 coordinates as a reference to set my centerline and plaster line. From there the process was simply just a matter of finding the dimensions of the stage an the objects pertaining to it.

The real challenge was understanding how the miter transfer line technique works. In order to successfully use this tactic, I had to review Chapter 7 of Drafting For The Theatre, Second Edition, by Dennis Dorn and Mark Shanda. In page 81, section 7.5, it states: “Width, height, and depth measurements are shared between the various views in an orthographic projection. Therefore, given any two views, a third view may be developed” (Drafting For The Theatre, Second Edition, by Dennis Dorn and Mark Shanda). This helped me to understand an important point to multi-view drawings. For example, since the ground plan revealed the length and width of an objects, the centerline section would not be able to show width , instead it will show the depth of the same object. On Auto Cad, simply create a 45 degree miter line, and then run the construction lines of an object in a horizontal fashion to the miter line. This will clarify the depth of the object. Then to create the centerline section view of the object, runs vertical lines at the point of intersection, and this will give you a visual representation of your section view.