Self-Analysis of City Tech BSN Program

My experience in the Baccalaureate program at New York City College of Technology has been a phenomenal one. I gained a lot of insight  and perspective through clinical rotations, professional presentations, and on-line dialogue assignments. The BSN program allows the Associate degree level nurse to incorporate their clinical knowledge and critical thinking skills in the community  and public settings, such as senior centers, home care nursing, prisons, just to name a few….

In the advent of health care reform, the IOM (Institute of Medicine) makes several recommendations to contribute to competent and safe care in a effective, including reformation of the nursing profession. One of the recommendation requires practicing nurse professionals to advance their education in nursing. While this may be a controversial issue amongst some health care professionals; I feel that this requirement is necessary to provide competent care that is safe and effective.

Upon completion of the BSN program, I feel more confident to work effectively as a leader in a current health care system that is complex and always changing. For example, this program has allowed me to apply the nursing process in a holistic approach, while incorporating evidence base practice. Prior to attending the BSN program, I did not fully comprehend the “evidence-base practice” concept, however, with after much research and assignments, I feel more confident to apply this concept to future practice as a health care professional.

My future education goals is to pursue my Masters degree in nursing in order to keep abreast of the complex and dynamic health care system, as this will ensure competent and safe care.