Personal Nursing Philosophy

My Nursing Philosophy

My nursing philosophy, values, and beliefs all stem from my family upbringing as a child.  My parents instill in me the importance of respecting God, to value life, to  respect others, to be kind to others, to have compassion for others, and also to treat people the way that I will like for them to treat me. I knew from a young child that I wanted to be a nurse. As a child, I enjoyed playing “hospital” with my siblings just so that I can take the role of a nurse. Nursing is a calling for me because I have the desire within myself to help people when they are not at their best. Many of my family members such as my aunts, cousins, and sister are nurses and they also played a huge role in my choosing of the profession.

I believe nursing is a profession for the caring hearts. In order to have successes in the field of nursing, I believe one has to possess compassion, patience, understanding, respect, and tenacity. As a nurse, I do not look at patients as a room number or a disease; I see them all as individual from all walks of life who deserve the best quality of care. I believe and consider all patients as Very Important Patient (VIP), and I deliver care to them as if they were my loved ones who are at the recipient end of that care. I believe nurses are also the eyes, ears, and mouth piece for their patients. It is very important for nurses to advocate for their patients to assure that they receive the best care and positive outcome. I feel that caring is holistic and requires an in depth understanding of the physiological, psychological, and emotional needs of a human being.  I believe the nursing profession is very valuable to the healthcare setting; as healthcare changes to meet the high demands of the client population and new technology, a nurse must stay current with knowledge base by continuing their education, and participating in nursing organizations. As a nurse, I will continue to strive and to commit myself to advancing my profession by maintaing my professionalism, stay current with my education, and keep providing the best of care to my patients and their families.