Ethics in Design 1B

To date, I have not been required to enter into a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement with the organization for this internship. The sole documentation I have completed or submitted is an internship agreement form, which includes my personal details, information about the organization, my assigned tasks during the internship, and mutually applicable terms for myself and the organization. However, for clarification, a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) is a legally enforceable contract that establishes a confidential relationship. The signatories of the agreement commit to keeping any sensitive information they acquire strictly confidential and not disclosing it to any third parties. An NDA may also be known as a confidentiality agreement.

The main advantage of a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) lies in its ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information pertaining to your company. This encompasses a wide range of data, including research and development (R&D) findings, potential future patents, financial details, negotiation strategies, and various other aspects. The clarity of NDAs is evident as they outline the boundaries of disclosure to prevent any misunderstandings. Furthermore, NDAs can be easily and inexpensively created, as they simply require a signed document. This approach proves to be highly economical for safeguarding confidential information. In addition, the repercussions of revealing restricted information are clearly stated, serving as a deterrent against any potential breaches. Moreover, they also serve as an effective means to uphold a sense of ease and reliance within a relationship.

Commencing a relationship with an NDA agreement as a primary drawback is that it initiates a sense of doubt and suspicion. Consequently, this can significantly influence the overall dynamics of the relationship, potentially leading to unfavorable outcomes. Moreover, employee NDAs may hinder the recruitment of exceptional individuals, as they would be aware of the restrictions imposed on discussing their work in the long run.

An example is Apple, and it is renowned for its exceptional level of privacy, making it one of the most secretive corporations globally. The company meticulously safeguards its technological advancements and forthcoming products until it deems the appropriate time for their unveiling. This approach serves a dual purpose: deterring potential competitors from pilfering valuable trade secrets and imitating its groundbreaking innovations, which Apple has consistently pioneered throughout its existence, while also creating a sense of anticipation and excitement among consumers as a strategic marketing tactic. Apple maintains a strict policy of confidentiality in all its partnerships, requiring every partner to sign non-disclosure agreements (NDAs). Partners are explicitly instructed not to reference the name “Apple” in any way, and Apple has taken legal action against those who have breached this agreement, seeking substantial financial compensation.

Throughout my research and experience, I am committed to adhering to all guidelines set by my supervisors at the organization. As a designer, I will strive to produce work that portrays the organization in a positive light, while also showing respect to the clients and supervisors around me.

Citation(s)

• “A Client’s Guide to Design: How to Get the Most Out of the Process” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard Grefé, AIGA. 
  • “Use of Photography” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard Grefé, AIGA. 
  • “Guide to Copyright” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard Grefé, AIGA.

Published by

Matthew De Souza

Hi! I'm Matthew De Souza, a graphic designer and artist. Art has been a major part of my life and I've been sharing it with friends and family for many years. It's exciting that I can be able to share my work with people across the world, whether if that's digitally or physically. I'm constantly open to feedback as I believe improvements can always be made to any body of work.