The Start of a Journey #1

Prior to the start of summer, I was eager to jumpstart my internship journey by securing a position for the upcoming Fall semester. I had been diligently monitoring the COMD Internship Openlab, searching for a job that aligned with my criteria and skill set. On June 22, 2023, one of my professors informed me of an opening at Brooklyn College that offered everything I was looking for in an internship and more. Additionally, having connections with two former students who had worked for the college provided me with valuable insight into what to expect and the college’s excellent reputation with CityTech.

After preparing my resume, cover letter, and portfolio, I submitted my application and waited for a response. Within two days, I was invited for an interview with my future supervisor. Wearing all formal attire and a appropiate background setting with amazing lighting, I patiently waited for the meeting to start. Despite initial nerves, my supervisor’s warm welcome quickly put me at ease as the conversation between us started to flow. During the hour-long interview, we discussed my goals, the position’s expectations, my portfolio, skill set, future in the industry, and hobbies. We also reviewed the brand guidelines in the creative brief, which outlined the do’s and don’ts of the internship, including the use of colors, fonts, and images. My supervisor emphasized the importance of studying these guidelines and applying them to all of my work. This was a great learning opportunity as in the possible the future. If I were to work at any company, I would need to abide by their rules, regulations and brand guidelines.

Overall, it was a positive experience, and I was thrilled to be offered the position on the spot, which I graciously accepted immediately. To get an early start, my supervisor arranged for me to work two weeks before the Fall semester began and start my journey at this educational institution.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_College

Published by

Matthew De Souza

Hi! I'm Matthew De Souza, a graphic designer and artist. Art has been a major part of my life and I've been sharing it with friends and family for many years. It's exciting that I can be able to share my work with people across the world, whether if that's digitally or physically. I'm constantly open to feedback as I believe improvements can always be made to any body of work.